To be successful in tasks management, a specially your personal, you need to keep your focus only on crucial and avoid unnecessary information. It can be easily achieved it with Task List filtering.
Filter Tasks List
If you are Project Manager then you would be interested in filtering all tasks by a specific Project Name, just to keep your attention focus on the most crucial tasks in the scope of the particular Project. This will help you to define most appropriate strategy on level of resource allocation and further control on tasks fulfillment.
If you are Team Lead then you would be interested in filtering all tasks by a specific Resouorce Group Name.
If you are Engineer then your focus is List of your Personal tasks and could be that Tasks of your Groups.
- To filter Task List in accordance to your needs you can enter a criteria right into the empty cells at the top of the page.
Screen #1 – Task List – Filter by Project
Screen #2 – Task List – Filter by Group
Screen #3 – Task List – Filter by Resource
- You can also double click on any value displayed at Task List table to apply it as a filter for data representation.
- To disable previously applied filter to the column press “watering can” icon, to the right from a column name.
Screen #4 – Task List – Excluding Particular Filter Criteria
- To cancel all previously applied filters criteria at the page press “watering can” icon, located under the “gear” icon
Screen #5 – Task List – Excluding All Filters Criteria
Filter Tasks by Status
In Epicflow system we have defined next statuses:
- Completed – tasks for which there is no Remaining work left
- Not Estimated – tasks which were not estimated, so they are not included in calculations or load
- Ready to Start – tasks with completed predecessors and which engineers can take to work on.
- Upcoming – next going successor of “Ready to Start” task
- Not Ready to Start – next going successor of “Upcoming” or “Not Ready to Start” task
Screen #6 – Task List – Stage
Selection of the any item from the dropdown list filter our all task in accordance to selected value and hides all other. So if you need to go back to standard view select “Please Choose” option as shown on Screenshot #6.
If you would like to have a short information on related tasks to the current one just hover over your mouse cursor on stage icon as it shown on the Screenshot bellow.
Screen #7 – Task List – Next tasks in the chain
Please note that for the tasks in status “Upcoming” and “Not Ready to start” additional information will be as list of tasks by which current one is blocked by.
Screen #8 – Task List – Blocked By
To get task into the system for Epicflow it’s not mandatory to have integration with external systems. You also can create and manage task directly in Epicflow itself.
- Navigate to the “Task List” page and press “+ Create task” link located at the top right corner.
Screen #9 – Task List – New task creation
- In newly appeared window specify:
- Task name
- Project for which task is created
- Assignee or multiple one if required
- Total and Remaining work estimation
- Predecessor and Successor
Screen #10 – Create task
- As soon previous step is finished press “Create” button to save the changes.
Uploading Progress on Task
Progress on task accomplishment is measured in decreasing of Remained hours estimation.
To update the Task Progress you would need to change value of Remaining hours. Press left mouse button on the appropriate value of Remaining hours to start its editing.
Screen #11 – Tasks Progress Update
Difference between Spent, Remaining, Total
Each task is characterized by estimation of a time which is remaining for its fulfillment, already spent and total sum of such. It’s an essential part of the system and update of those values helps with project’s flow, impediments identification and priorities order.
Remaining is the number of man hours left to accomplish the task. You can modify this number, but please note that it will change the number of Spent man hours or Total.
Spent is the number of man hours that a resource has already burned to accomplish the task. If you increase the number of spent hours, Remaining hours will get reduced accordingly.
Total is the sum of Remaining and Spent man hours.
Close the task
Once all the Remaining hours have been spent, the task will be shown as a completed one.
For JIRA and CSV integration in case of the task transfer to the “Done” state Epicflow automatically set Remaining hours to 0.
Assigning and re-assigning Resource\Group
- To change assigned Group for the task press right mouse button at the “Task List” page area and select “Change Group for this task” element of context menu. Type in Group’s name or select such from the appeared drop-down list.
Screen #12 – Change Group for the task
- To change assigned Resource for the task press right mouse button at the “Task List” page area and select “Change Resource for this task” element of context menu. Type in Resource’s name or select such from the appeared drop-down list.
Screen #13 – Change Resource for the task
“Esc” or left button click anywhere at the page will cancel the change Resource action.
Instead of any particular Resource assignment user can select “anyone” option from the appeared drop-down. It does mean that anybody from the specified Resource Group, who is available, is defined to carry our the task.
Cross-group resource assignment
Sometimes situations arise when the resource from another group possesses the necessary skills to perform a task. At the same time, the task is assigned to a specific group but nobody from the group can be used to accomplish the task due to overload or capacity issues. Also reassignment on another group is not appreciated.
The way out of this situation is “cross-group assignment”. It’s mechanism which allows you to assign a resource from the different group than specified for task accomplishment.
Suppose that the resource “Admin” has the skills to perform the task set in front of the “BE” group but he is not a part of that group. Also resources of “BE” group are not in position to work that task and to work it out we are going to involve “Admin” and for that we are going to reassign it on it.
When you go to the Task list page and right-click on the necessary task, a drop-down menu will appear with the “Add resource to this task” item we need.
Screen #14– Task list – adding resource drop-down menu
By selecting this item, you will see a list of available resources for assignment with the primary assigned group at the top of the list.
Screen #15– Task list – resource list
We are interested in the resource “Admin”. By selecting it, we see that it is now indicated in the task card. However, the execution group is still considered “BE.”
Screen #16– Task-card – assigned cross-group resource
Note that with such approach the Load created by this task will be evenly distributed among all groups in which the “Admin” resource is allocated and excluded from BE group.
Assign to multiple tasks
- To assign to multiple tasks press right mouse button at the page area and select “Assign to multiple tasks” element of context menu.
For identification of selected for multiple assignment action assignee’s name will be highlighted on hovering. Also in “Assign to Multiple” mode, you’ll see template Assignment Group and Resource emphasized with bold and cursive(italic) fonts.
Please note that
- If you “right click -> Assign to multiple” on assignment WITH Resource, then Group + Resource for this Assignment will be used in Multi-Assign mode.
- If you “right click -> Assign to multiple” on assignment WITHOUT Resource, then you’ll see Resource dropdown in corresponding line in Resource Column.
- If you “right click -> Assign to multiple” OUTSIDE of Resource/Group Assignments (even in other columns), then first Assignment will be used.
Screen #17 – Assign to Multiple tasks
In newly appeared window remove unnecessary filters and select those tasks for which multiple task assign must be performed
Screen #18 – Assign to Multiple tasks Scope Selection
Be ware that multiple assign works in accordance to next Rules:
- if any of task’s assignment of the selected task already has assigned The Resource (for any of the group) nothing will be changed in it.
- If all of task’s assignment contains no group that we’ve specified on multiple tasks assignment selection (first line, cell group) nothing will be changed.
- If any of task’s assignment contains a group that we’ve specified on multiple tasks assignment selection (first line, cell group) and task has empty assignee The Resource will be assigned to it
- If any of task’s assignment contains SEVERAL groups that we’ve specified on multiple tasks assignment selection (first line, cell group) and we have specified NO additional filter (for resource name) then The Resource will be assigned to the first empty task assignment of the corresponding group.
- If any of task’s assignment contains SEVERAL groups that we’ve specified on multiple tasks assignment selection (first line, cell group) and we have specified additional filter (Resource name), then The Resource will be replaced accordingly to set criteria.
Remove Resource\Group from assignment
- To remove Resource for the task press right mouse button at the page area and select “Remove Resource” element of context menu.
Screen #19 – Remove Resource
Exporting tasks into CSV
- Press “Export tasks to CSV” button, located at the bottom of the Task List page, to export all tasks to the csv file.